Bldg. A Lower Level
7000 East Genesee Street
Fayetteville, NY 13066-1128 315.445.2499
315.445.2495 Fx firstname.lastname@example.org Add to Address Book
Karen practices in the areas of family and domestic relations law including representation of children in support, paternity, custody, visitation, divorce proceedings, juvenile delinquency, persons in need of supervision, abuse/neglect proceedings, and family offense proceedings. She specializes in mediation and collaborative law to provide an alternative to the traditional court proceedings for families. Karen actively participates on the Onondaga County Bar Association Assigned Counsel Panel, the New York State Law Guardian Panel, the New York State Referee Panel, and is a New York State Certified Court Evaluator and New York State Certified Guardian Ad Litem.
Professional and Community Involvement
Karen is a member of the CNY Collaborative Family Law Professionals, the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, the New York State and Onondaga County Bar Associations, Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity, Zeta Phi Eta National Professional Fraternity in Communication, and a member and past director of the Rotary Club of DeWitt, Inc. Karen has acted as a volunteer evaluator for the Syracuse University College of Law volunteer evaluator for Jessup International Law, Grossman Moot Court, National Appellate Team competitions, and been involved with the Partnership for Mental Health Alternatives.
Karen is a frequent speaker on family law issues. Since 2001, she has been a guest lecturer on Advanced Family Law at the Syracuse University College of Law. Previously, she has been an adjunct professor at SUNY Empire State College, an instructor with the Children 1st Program for the Mental Health Association, an adjunct professor at University College at Syracuse University for the Paralegal Program, and an adjunct professor for the National Academy for Paralegal Studies, Inc. Karen was selected for the National Register Who's Who in Executives and Professionals (2002-2003), and awarded the Onondaga Community College 2001 Distinguished Alumni Award.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, “Practical Skills-Family Court Practice: Custody, Child Protective Proceedings and Ethics” (Spring 2007)
- New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, “Practical Skills-Family Court Practice: Custody, Child Protective Proceedings and Ethics: The Appointment and Use of Law Guardians” (Spring 2005)
- Onondaga County Bar Association Newly Admitted Lawyers’ Seminar, “How to Become a Law Guardian and How to Be a Law Guardian” (2003-2004)
- New York State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, “Practical Skills-Family Court Practice: Custody, Child Protective Proceedings and Ethics” (Spring 2003)
- Certificate of Completion - Divorce Mediation, American Academy of Family Mediators Approved Training, Syracuse University, 2000
- J.D., Syracuse University College of Law, 1990
- MsEd, Syracuse University, 1981
- M.A., Syracuse University, 1978
- B.S. Cornell University, 1976
- A.S. Onondaga Community College, 1974
- New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York